'Be true to the earth'
The inaugural conference of the Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment (Australia-New Zealand)
Organized by the journal Colloquy under the auspices of The Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies and the Schools of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics and Literary, Visual and Performance Studies at Monash University
Dates: March 31-April 1, 2005
Venue: Monash University
Confirmed Keynote Speaker: Louise Westling (Oregon), author of The Green Breast of the New World: Landscape, Gender and American Fiction (1996)
The inaugural conference of ASLE-ANZ takes as its theme Friedrich Nietzsche's injunction in Thus Spake Zarathustra to "be true to the earth." The organizers of the conference invite papers that engage with the question of what it might mean to 'be true' to 'the earth' in relation to their own work, whether creative, critical, or reflective, as well as with regard to the particular location(s) of their work, whether in place, time or other (cultural, social, institutional) contexts. In particular, we welcome papers which address this theme in relation to:
* literatures, philosophies and practices of place, especially in Australia and New Zealand
* poetics, politics and practical action
* indigenous, intercultural or cross-cultural perspectives
* rural, urban or suburban ecologies
* non-modern, counter-modern or postmodern perspectives
* interspecies ethics, poetics or communication
* reinhabitation, dislocation and social justice
* ecocriticism and cultural studies
* ecocriticism and religious studies
* ecocriticism and European critical theory.
Proposals (150 words max.) for twenty minute papers should be sent by January 31st 2005 by email to ASLEANZ.Conference @ arts.monash.edu.au , or by post to Peter Coleman, Colloquy, Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, Building 11A, Monash Vic 3800, Australia.
Dimitris Vardoulakis, Colloquy: text theory critique, Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, PO Box 11A, Monash University, Clayton, Vic 3800 Australia, tel: +61 3 9905 9009, fax: +61 3 9905 5593, email: colloquy @ arts.monash.edu.au, url: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/others/colloquy